Postdoctoral Fellow – Machine Learning/Genome Mutability & Organization/Molecular Interactions
Job posting number: #7089345 (Ref:hlj_33929)
Posted: November 17, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
We seek a creative and motivated postdoctoral researcher with background in structural biology and machine learning to join the team of Dr. Aleksandra Karolak. Our current projects focus on the role of DNA or proteins molecular structure and sequence on the mutagenesis, chromatin architecture, tumor topology in cancer; furthermore, we are involved in identification and design of novel therapeutics. If your background overlaps and if you are interested in one of the projects focusing on 1) understanding the impact of DNA damage and repair on highly heterogeneous patterns of mutations, responses to treatment, genome conformation, and/or tumor topology, metabolic reprogramming across the genomes and populations, or 2) molecular interactions (protein-protein, protein-DNA, protein-small molecules) and identification of novel compounds to treat cancer – we encourage you to apply. We have exciting opportunities for you within our team at the institution that will strongly support your scientific growth and future successes.
The Computational Oncology Group in the Machine Learning Department at Moffitt combines multidisciplinary and multiscale approaches from the fields of chemistry, structural biology, machine learning, information theory, and mathematical oncology, to advance cancer research. We collaborate with the departments of gastrointestinal oncology and molecular medicine/drug discovery. We also actively collaborate with the extramural oncology centers and academic institutions.
To learn more about the exciting work being done visit: http://lab.moffitt.org/KAROLAK
- Moffitt integrates excellent patient care with cutting-edge clinical and basic research. Having a cancer hospital on-site provides unique opportunities for translational research.
- The position is essential for development of comprehensive tools benefiting basic to clinical research through 1) identification of novel approaches and biomarkers to treat cancer, and 2) through the improved stratification of cancer patients.
- The position offers vibrant and interactive work environment in the Quantitative Science Division and results will bring value beyond the community of Moffitt patients.
- Outstanding mentorship from expert faculty with wide-ranging funded research programs including T32 Training Grants.
- You will be encouraged and supported to apply for training grants.
The Ideal Candidate:
- High motivation and desire to be part of multidisciplinary group, good work ethic.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Documented experience with machine learning concepts, tools, and applications.
- High proficiency with at least one of the programming languages and statistical packages.
- Deep knowledge of biological data sources and databases.
- Documented experience with concepts and applications from structural biology of proteins and/or DNA.
- Preferable knowledge of cancer biology.
- Experience with extraction, handling, and processing of large data sets.
- Data preparation, organization, and analysis.
- Development of new and tuning of existing models and analytical approaches.
- Presentation of data and results in a clear and concise manner.
- Active participation in the group meetings and meetings with the collaborating teams.
- Ability to work with the team and independently.
- Supervision of undergraduate and graduate students.
- Preparation of grant applications, publications, and presentations.
- Meeting project goals.
Credentials and Qualifications:
- Ph.D. degree and research experience in the fields of machine learning, computer science in biomedical applications or related field of study.
- At least one first-author publication.
Interested applicants should submit a current CV with recent publications, a cover letter summarizing their research training and accomplishments, and contact information for three references.
You will be eligible for benefits offered to our Team Members – Moffitt Postdocs are provided free employee-only Medical and eligible for Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave, and more. With a move to Tampa, you may be eligible for relocation allowance. Reason to relocate, aside from the sunshine, beaches and year-round outdoor recreation associated with the Gulf Coast of Florida, Tampa is a thriving metropolitan city with unique cultural attractions, low cost of living and a high quality of life. We strive for work/life balance.
If you have the vision, passion, and dedication to contribute to our mission,
then we have a place for you.
Mission To create a Moffitt culture of diversity and inclusion as we strive to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Vision Moffitt Cancer Center is recognized as the model wherein the diversity of our employees and communities is valued and supported as essential components to contributing to the prevention and cure of cancer. The cancer center is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the cancer center to prohibit unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to workforce members and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.