Director of Research Administration
Job posting number: #7076829
Posted: April 8, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Job DescriptionJob-Specific Responsibilities
The Department of Microbiology seeks a creative and accomplished individual to ensure the success of the department by providing top-level organizational support for the department’s research and education missions. The Director of Research Administration reports to the Chair of the Department, with considerable independence, and is a trusted, strategic partner. The primary role of the Director is to free the Chair from duties related to research administration and allow her to focus on the scientific and educational priorities of the department.
As the senior administrative officer of the department, you will be overseeing all administrative staff. You will partner with the Chair in all areas of the department’s activities and will provide key support to the faculty in their research and educational endeavors. You must have a keen understanding of scientific research enterprises, particularly those with an emphasis on basic (discovery) research.
The Director is a key point of connectivity and communication between the department faculty and School administrators. You will have a clear understanding of the department’s research, educational, and resource needs (e.g. laboratory space, funding, technology, personnel) and of the requirements of the School, University and major financial partners. You will be expected to work creatively to solve problems in each of these areas, and work with the department Chair to manage faculty searches and negotiate faculty offers, monitor the faculty’s academic and career trajectories, and work closely with the Office of Faculty Affairs on promotions and appointments. You will also work effectively with HMS and Harvard University administrative offices, including serving on committees and collaborating with other senior administrative staff.
Job Specific Responsibilities
• Work with the Chair and the faculty to identify long range strategic plans and prepare related documents for HMS department reviews
• Work with the Director of Finance to develop research-related strategies that contribute to the financial health of the department
• Prepare faculty hiring, appointment and promotion materials
• Assist with faculty searches and the recruitment and onboarding of new faculty members
• Strategize with Chair to solve space management challenges and implement plans
• Manage regulatory changes that impact faculty and other department members
• Work with the Research Operations Manager to develop, manage and coordinate departmental contingency responses (e.g. Covid-19)
• Manage office staff; make effective hiring decisions, set expectations, and provide timely guidance and performance feedback
• Support the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Working Group to promote a culture that is respectful and welcoming to individuals of diverse backgrounds and identities
• Represent the Department of Microbiology and the faculty on School-wide committees
• Negotiate with University administration on behalf of the faculty
• Assist with the development and preparation of grant proposals and white papers
• Provide administrative support for NIH T32 training grant renewals and progress reports
A Master’s or doctoral degree in a biological science or related field. A minimum 10 years of relevant experience in support of research in an academic, industry or clinical setting.
Additional Qualifications and Skills
A Ph.D. in a microbiology related field is strongly preferred; managerial experience navigating within a complex organization; an ability both to prioritize among competing tasks and to track detailed information effectively; an ability to manage deadlines thoughtfully; excellent oral and written communication skills are essential; an ability to engage constructively and effectively with a broad range of personalities; a demonstrated awareness of and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Please provide a cover letter and up to 3 writing samples/publications with your application
We are committed to cultivating an inclusive workplace culture of faculty, staff, and students with diverse backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations. We appreciate and leverage the capabilities, insights, and ideas of all individuals. Harvard Medical School Mission and Community Values
Harvard University offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, incredibly affordable classes directly at the Harvard Extension School, and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events, and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Harvard Medical School strives to cultivate an environment that promotes inclusiveness and collaboration among students, faculty and staff and to create new avenues for discussion that will advance our shared mission to improve the health of people throughout the world.