Molecular & Cell Biology Technician
Bar Harbor, ME
Job posting number: #7074488 (Ref:JAX28294)
Posted: January 27, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
This is a key technical role in supporting the Genetic Engineering Technologies (GET) molecular and cellular laboratory capabilities. Individuals in these roles may have a greater focus on either molecular or cellular biology or may be cross trained to support both areas.
Under minimal supervision, the Technician is capable of understanding molecular design/processes, executing the necessary molecular lab protocols criticial to the creation, and validation of, genetically engineered animals. This individual reports to the Molecular Biology lab manager in GET. The Technician also works in tight alignment with GET Study Directors and other GET staff members to ensure rapid turnaround of high quality molecular data. He/she is expected to identify and pursue process improvements to increase capabilities and capacity.
This position may occasionally require non-standard working hours (weekends).
- Molecular biology lab activities – He/she should be capable of executing, and documenting, molecular biology protocols with highly reproducible results in an efficient and timely manner. Techniques include, but are not limited to, PCR, sequencing, plasmid cloning and scaled preparation, RNA synthesis, DNA/RNA analysis (gel restriction digests/Southern blot, Sanger sequence analysis). Accurate and detailed documentation of sample records is critical.
- General laboratory operations - Maintaining reagent inventories, monitoring/calibrating/cleaning equipment.
- SOP and Safety - Develops, writes and revises document templates and relevant SOPs. Implements and ensures SOPs are followed while adhering to laboratory safety policies.
- High performance environment – Demonstrates and drives a positive, high performance environment with a culture of teamwork, continuous improvement and customer focus. They work collaboratively within GET team to leverage expertise to maximize success and resource use. They ensure a safe work environment is maintained at all times.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- B.S. in a Molecular Biology, Genetics or related discipline.
- Minimum of one year experience wet bench experience, preferably in a molecular or cell culture based laboratory.
- Excellent research task oversight skills including adherence to procedures, best practices and detailed documentation/record keeping.
- Superior organizational skills, ability to prioritize multiple demands and work efficiently under pressure; excellent communication skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively exchange information and handle problems with people from a wide variety of background levels.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize standard office software (Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc) or other Project Management/LIMS software solutions.